What Is TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)?
Total Dissolved solids(TDS) term is used to describe the presence of salts and small sizes organic matter in water.It is denoted by mg/L or ppm(Parts PerMillion). The common constituents are calcium, sodium, carbonate, chloride and sulfates. Presence of these dissolved solids in water can make it tastes bitter and salty.
How does TDS in Water Originate?
TDS in water originate from natural resources, sewage and industrial waste. High TDS (Total Dissolved solids)of water can leads to scaling in water pipes,boilers and household appliances such as kettle,taps, pipelines etc. Scaling can decrease the lifespan of these appliances.
Why LOW TDS and High TDS Water not to be recommended?
Water with extremely low TDS also cannot be accepted because of its insipid taste and low minerals,also it is corrosive to water supply equipment.
In areas where TDS (Total Dissolved solids) of water is too high, the individual constituents should be identified. Moderate to high TDS in water not only changes its taste but also have lots of health hazards.
Here are some reasons why you need to measure TDS in water:-
- High level of TDS in water can affect the taste of your drinking water.
- High TDS in water can change the taste of your cooked food.
- Water with high TDS leavesugly spots on your utensils and can also fades the color of your clothes.
- Water contains some substances like lead and copper. Excessiveness of these substances lead to lots of health hazards.
How to measure the TDS of Water?
If you want to measure TDS of Water then you can use Digital TDS Meter.
Here we mentioned Step by Step Guidance to Measure TDS of Water
- First, you have to remove the protective cap of Water TDS Meter.
- Then, turn the Digital Water TDS meter on. You will find the ON/OFF switch is on the TDS Meter.
- Now, Immerse the TDS meter into the water up to the maximum immersion level (2 inches).
- Waitupto 5 to 7 seconds approximately till the reading stabilizes
- Finally, press the HOLD button and take it out of the water to view the reading.
By executing the above mentioned Steps you can easily measure the TDS of Water
Palatibility Chart by WHO:-
|TDS Level in parts per million(ppm)
||Palatibility of Water
|Less than 300
||Excellent For Drinking
|More than 1200
According to the Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the upper limit of TDS level in water for drinking is 500 ppm.
For more information refer this url :http://cgwb.gov.in/Documents/WQ-standards.pdf
Ways to reduce TDS in water?
Following Water Treatment is the excellent Way to decrease or you can say reduce the Total Dissolved Salt from Water.
- Reverse Osmosis (RO) System
- DI (Deionization System)
- Water Distiller.
If the drinking water TDS level exceeds 500, then its recommended to install a Good Quality RO Water purifier.